As another remarkable year draws to a close, hydrosolutions GmbH extends its warmest wishes for the holiday season to all.
A Look Back at 2023:
- SAPPHIRE Central Asia: A key highlight of our activities this year was the SAPPHIRE Central Asia project, aimed at modernizing operational hydrology workflows in Central Asia's hydrometeorological organizations. This significant initiative began with a project kickoff meeting in April in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, setting the stage for a year of impactful work. The momentum continued with the annual project meeting and workshop held near Tashkent, Uzbekistan, in November.
- Remote Sensing Application for Irrigation Performance Assessments: We proudly collaborated with the World Bank on the use of remote sensing for irrigation performance assessments. Featuring exciting case studies from various regions, including the Caucasus, Ukraine, and Central Asia, our work assisted the World Bank's task teams in harnessing remote sensing-based information, pivotal for the planning and optimisation of irrigation investments.
- Water Budgeting Using Remote Sensing and Earth Observation Technology: We have developed pilot web applications designed to monitor water storage levels, as well as erosion and deposition patterns in reservoirs. This work had a special focus on regions in India and Uzbekistan, underscored by our 8-day training workshop in Roorkee, India, and our visits to the Karshi and Samarkand regions in Uzbekistan, which allowed us to engage directly with the local stakeholders.
- Hydro4U - Sustainable Small-Scale Hydropower in Central Asia: Funded by the EU's Horizon 2020, the Hydro4U project in 2023 continued to showcase European small hydropower technologies in Central Asia. Notably, the project yielded the CA-discharge data publication in Nature Scientific Data as a valuable side-product, enhancing the understanding of Central Asia's river hydrology.
This year has been one of remarkable progress and achievement for us, thanks to our dedicated team and the consistent support of our clients and partners!
Looking Ahead to 2024:
- Climate-Resilient Integrated Water Resources Management in the Zarafshan River Basin: While this project has already commenced, a significant milestone in 2024 will be the implementation of Count4D for operational groundwater abstraction accounting. This advancement is a key component in enhancing smart water resource management in the Zarafshan River Basin in Uzbekistan.
- Water Use Permits in the Kyrgyz Republic: Supported by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, this project focuses on enhancing water governance in Kyrgyzstan. In 2024, we anticipate delivering a comprehensive water management plan for the Chu River Basin, marking a significant step in promoting sustainable water use in the region.
- Collaborations in Remote Sensing of Irrigated Agriculture: We eagerly anticipate more upcoming projects with the World Bank and FAO, focusing on the remote sensing of irrigated agriculture. Key upcoming projects are slated for Afghanistan and Tajikistan.
- Venturing into a New Domain with a Remote Sensing Pilot Study in Switzerland: We explore the applicability of remote sensing for irrigation water quantification in Switzerland. It's particularly rewarding to see that our technology and expertise may be applied locally, and we look forward to sharing some results in 2024!
As we step into 2024, we are excited about new opportunities and continued partnerships. Together, we look forward to building a brighter, successful future.
Appreciation is extended to all who have been a part of this journey. Wishing everyone a merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!